National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland’s premier university in the fields of Biomedical Science/Innovation and Software Engineering and Informatics is delighted to announce the launch of three Government of Ireland International Scholarships for Indian students pursuing postgraduate studies from September 2013.
The scholarships are to be awarded to high-calibre students from India undertaking particular taught-Master’s programmes in the fields of either Biomedical Science and Innovation or Software Engineering and Informatics.
It is the University’s aim that these Scholarships will complement our strengths in these particular fields, with special regard also to our ethos of knowledge transfer, industrial collaboration and our emphasis on graduate welfare and employability.
About National University of Ireland, Galway
• Established: 1845
• Location: Galway, Ireland
• Student Body: 17,000 students (including 2,500 International Students from over 100 countries)
• Disciplines: Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Business, Law, Engineering, IT, Medicine, Nursing and Science
Did You Know?
• NUI Galway is Ireland’s top university for graduate employability, with 96% of graduates placed within 6 months of their graduation
• NUI Galway is a leading centre of campus innovation, boasting the most spin-out companies of all Irish universities over the last three years, as well as generating the most licences and the most patents
• NUI Galway provides the highest standards of student experience: as well as having received the most National Teaching Excellence Awards of all HEIs, NUI Galway has the best record for student retention in the Irish university system
NUI Galway and India
NUI Galway currently hosts a vibrant community of Indian students, mainly studying at Postgraduate level in areas such as Engineering and Biomedical Sciences. NUI Galway has participated in a high level of both faculty and student exchange with over 20 Indian partner institutions. NUI Galway-India research relations have most recently been further strengthened by the signing of agreements between the Network of Excellence for Functional Biomaterials (NFB) at NUI Galway and four Indian institutions:
• The Materials Research Centre at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
• Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
• Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
• Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Science and Technology, Trivandrum
Academic Strengths and Industry Links
As mentioned above, NUI Galway has established a world class reputation in Biomedical Science/Innovation and Software Engineering/Informatics. These two subject areas are also reflected in the Galway region more generally. For example:
• NUI Galway hosts a number of leading research centres-of-excellence with global reputations in these areas, including:
o Regenerative Medicine Institute (REMEDI)
o National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science (NCBES)
o Network of Excellence for Functional Biomaterials (NFB)
o Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI)
o Irish Centre for High End Computing (ICHEC)
• Eight of the world’s 10 largest medical device companies are located in Ireland, with Europe’s premier cluster of device companies based in the Galway region. In fact, 80% of global stent production is carried out by companies based in the Galway region. Examples of significant medical device companies with sustained operations in Galway include 4tech Cardio, Anecto, Apica, Boston Scientific, Cappella Medical, Creganna, Crospon, Embricon, Lake Region Medical, Medtronic, neoSurgical, Neuravi, Novate Medical, Pointec Medical, SyncroPhi Systems, Veryan Endovascular, Veryan Medical, and Vivasure
• Galway is also home to several major international ICT and software firms, such as AvayaCisco Systems Electronic Arts (a.k.a., EA Sports), Hewlett Packard, SAP, Siebel Systems, Storm Technology
Scholarship ValueThe Government of Ireland International Scholarships scheme is operated and co-funded by the Irish Government and the higher education institutions (HEIs) and includes a full tuition fee waiver and a stipend of €10,000 to cover living expenses for one year.
Applications for the three scholarships are welcomed from Indian students* who have been offered a place on one of the following taught Master’s programmes at NUI Galway, commencing September 2013:
• MSc Biotechnology
• MSc Biomedical Science
• MSc Neuropharmacology
• MSc Regenerative Medicine
• MSc Software Design & Development
*Applicants must be categorised as non-EU for tuition fee purposes.
These programmes offer scholars the opportunity to combine campus-based study with applied and industry-led experiential learning and mentoring, arising from Galway’s key position as a leading industrial centre in Medical Device Manufacturing, Bioinnovation, Software Engineering, and Informatics. These programmes incorporate a variety of applied learning dimensions in industry sites and/or in world-class research laboratories.
Scholarship applicants are assessed based on academic merit. In addition, applicants will submit a personal statement covering the following points:
• The applicant’s interest in studying in Ireland
• How the applicant foresees their relationship with Ireland developing in the future
• How the applicant will promote links with Ireland, both during their scholarship tenure and as alumni
How to Apply
Stage Action Closing Date
1 Application for Admission to NUI Galway Applicant applies for admission to one or more eligible programmes (listed above) via http://www.pac.ie
30 April 2013
2 Scholarship Application Applicant submits a Personal Statement to the International Affairs Office, NUI Galway. 30 April 2013
4 Scholarship Award Notification Successful scholarship applicants are notified by NUI Galway by 7 June 2013. 7 June 2013
For further detail, please contact:
International Affairs Office
National University of Ireland, Galway
t: + 353 91 495277