Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT) is a government-funded higher education institution located in the midlands of Ireland. Established in 1970, the institute has developed considerably over the past four decades and offers a world-class education in a modern and vibrant campus.
AIT offers internationally recognised undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the fields of mechanical engineering; polymer engineering; information technology; electronics, computer and software engineering; civil and construction engineering; toxicology; pharmaceutical science; biotechnology; sports science; nursing; health science; business; accounting; humanities; hospitality and tourism studies. Graduates from these disciplines have been very successful in progressing to further studies and in obtaining relevant employment. Researchers at AIT have established an international reputation in the areas of software and polymer engineering, ecotoxicology, environmental science, and cell and molecular toxicology.
Located in the centre of Ireland, Athlone is one of the largest inland towns in the country with a population of 25,000 people and is 80 minutes journey time from the capital city, Dublin. It is a thriving urban centre and is well serviced by public transport. There is a direct bus service from AIT to DublinAirport. The town is situated on the River Shannon, the largest river in Ireland and Britain, and offers excellent sporting and leisure facilities. There are high quality student apartments adjacent to the main campus. The International Office can organise host family accommodation on request from international students. AIT has won awards for the quality of its student services.
Why Study at AIT?
- Friendly, welcoming institute with a supportive learning environment focused on ensuring that the expectation of each student is surpassed.
- Excellent student support services e.g. medical centre on campus, International Office dedicated to supporting international students during studies, Careers Office to provide advice on graduate opportunities.
- AIT is an attractive modern campus. Over €115 million has been invested in AIT’s infrastructure and campus since 2000.
- AIT has a world class sports campus, including an Olympic-standard indoor athletics arena, and FIFA 2-star astro-turf pitch.
- A world of international linkages. AIT has established relationships with more than 200 third-level institutions around the world, and 11% of AIT’s full-time students come from overseas.
- AIT has built substantial links with business and industry with leading global companies located in the region e.g. Élan, Ericsson, IO Systems, Alienware, One Direct, AXA Insurance, Pharmaplaz, Teleflex and KCI Medical.
- AIT has a proven track record in securing research funding and has received €23 million since 2000.
- Graduates from AIT have been very successful in progressing to further studies and obtaining relevant employment.
- Athlone is located right in the centre of the country. It is easily accessible and is approximately an 80-minute journey from the capital city, Dublin and airport.
- Athlone offers quality, excellent value accommodation. The cost of living is lower than in the capital city.
English Language Programme for International Students:
AIT offers a Foundation English Programme for International Students. This course is especially designed for international students who wish to pursue third-level education in Ireland. Pre-sessional English language programmes are also available for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Athlone Institute of Technology received undergraduate and postgraduate students from Brazil under the Science Without Borders Programme in September 2013. Staff and students at the Institute are pleased to welcome our first intake of Brazilian scholarship students to our campus.
Check out AIT’s website and social media pages:
Twitter – @AthloneIT
Contact: Karl Turley
Title: International Coordinator: New and Emerging Markets Athlone Institute of Technology
Dublin Road, Athlone, Co. Westmeath, Ireland
+ 353 90 6468273