Institute of Technology, Tralee (ITT or IT Tralee), a home away from home for over 400 international students, is a third-level educational institution located in Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland. It was established in 1977 as the Regional Technical College, Tralee.
The Institute has two campuses- the North campus (located in Dromtacker) and the South campus (located in Clash) approximately 2.4 km (1.5 mi) apart. It has the following Schools and Departments:
School of Business, Computing and Humanities located in the North campus:
- Creative Media and Information Technology Department
- Business Department
- Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism Department
- Computing Department
School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics located in the South campus:
- Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Department
- Biological and Pharmaceutical Science Department
- Apprentice Section
School of Health and Social Sciences:
- Health and Leisure Studies Department located in the South campus
- Social Sciences Department located in the North Campus
- Nursing and Health Care Sciences Department located in the North campus
The South campus has been in operation since the opening of the Institute in 1977. The North campus opened in 2001. The continuing development of the North campus will eventually lead to the entire institute being relocated to Dromtacker.
The Tom Crean Business Incubation Centre opened in the north campus in January 2005.
Situated on the same site in Dromtacker is the Kerry Technology Park, owned and operated by Shannon Development. The Park and the Institute often work closely together, developing curricula and providing an exchange of students to work in the Park. In September 2004, a new Nursing complex opened in the North campus. The “Solás building” as it is known is where the student nurses learn practical nursing skills. It has its own ward setting with lifelike dummies as patients.
The Shannon Applied Biotechnology Centre (SABC) is also based on the campus of IT Tralee and is a joint venture between IT Tralee and Limerick Institute of Technology. It provides applied scientific services to industry in the area of integrated approaches to solving problems associated with the better utilisation of natural materials and the novel bio-resources they contain.
Why study at Tralee Institute of Technology:
- Excellent staff to student ratio which ensures that all students receive personal attention.
2. Multicultural environment with Irish and International students from over 140 countries in the world.
3. Tailored orientation and welcome programme that uses an effective buddy system to help students to integrate into student life in Ireland.
4. International students receive extra language and tutorial support.
5. Dedicated International office to support all International students.
6. Courses are career orientated and a number of courses have work experience as part of the programme.
7. A wide range of courses with flexible entry routes from Certificate to Bachelor to Masters to Postgraduate level.
8. Excellent choice of accommodation at competitive prices.
9. Significantly lower cost of living than other parts of Ireland.
10. A comprehensive range of student services including careers advice, medical, counselling and pastoral care.
11. Over forty clubs and societies including an International society.
12. International students are highly successful in gaining relevant employment.
For more information:
EU Students Contact Eddie Scully Email: Eddie.Scully@staff.ittralee.ie Tel: 00 353 66 719 1689
General Enquiries Lila O’Donnell email: Lila.ODonnell@staff.ittralee.ie Tel: 00 353 66 719 1718
International Office Fax: 00 353 66 719 1633